
Today is my five year wedding anniversary with Levi. I can't believe how fast the time has gone, and yet I can't believe we've only been married five years: it feels like we've been together for much, much longer than that.
In the past five years we've experienced living in three homes: a crappy duplex, a nicer (but still kinda crappy) apartment and finally a home that we bought in 2008. We've acquired two cats, lost two dogs (RIP Dutch and Lola), acquired two more dogs (regrettable and enjoyable, all at the same time.) We've bought one new car, been on countless trips to Utah, seen four Red Sox games (all of them in Seattle), been to Redfish Lake four consecutive years (in a couple of weeks it will be the fifth!) We've had two miscarriages, cried millions of tears and have decided that even just one child would be absolutely divine. We've kissed thousands of times, said "I love you" ten thousand times and have laughed out loud at each other a trillion times.
These numbers are a drop in the bucket of my memories with Levi. While discovering we were infertile, I was forced to find something positive about the possibility of never having children. I found that I will always have a deep appreciation for every minute spent with Levi. Most couples with children only get to really be with each other a couple of hours a day, and that time is often interrupted. Levi and I have the opportunity to spend uninterrupted time together every single day and we truly do relish this. We enjoy walking around downtown, going for bike rides, seeing tons of movies, watching Red Sox games, going out to eat, and going for a drive for no real reason. Of course we can only hope that one day we'll be able to share all this with a child, but in the meantime we're really enjoying each other's company.
Infertility has also been a real blow to my ego. I've always thought that being a great wife meant being able to procreate with your husband. Having that piece missing was like losing a piece of myself and I couldn't imagine that Levi would want to be married to someone who couldn't give him a child (especially since he's the only son, he's the oldest, etc.) but Levi has never made me feel like a failure and has said numerous times that he's happy to spend the rest of his life alone with me. That has given me such a peace of mind and I'm able to feel a little bit better about our situation knowing that he's always going to be there for me. What an amazing man.
Levi has seen me through the best of times and the worst of times and throughout it, his devotion and loyalty to me never once wavered. If I'm having a bad day at work or I'm bored at home, I know that Levi is only a phone call away and he ALWAYS answers when I call. The fact that I've only heard his answering machine a handful of times speaks volumes. He's always ready to listen to me complain, ready to cheer me up when I'm down, and ready to laugh with me when I'm telling him a story.
Levi, these five years of being your wife have been the best five years of my life. I'm a better person because of you and I appreciate your willingness to be my best friend, my personal cheerleader and my husband. You are the absolute best. I love you!
3 comments:
This is so adorable and sweet. Congrats on number 5!
Here's wishing you another five and another, etc! Love you both!
Happy Anniversary! Your wedding day was so beautiful, and doesn't seem like it was five years ago!
Post a Comment