Wednesday, March 5, 2008

All in a Day's Work Part II

Today I had a fantastic conversation with a lady, who was probably in her early sixties that went like this:
Me: (Observing this lady looking for something in the sports section) "Can I help you?"
Lady: "Yes, where are your books on running?" 
(I show her where they are and ask her if she wants a particular book)
Lady: "Yeah, it's a book about running with the words 'Holy Cost' in the title."
Me: "Holy cost?"
Lady: "Yeah, you know about the camps in Germany where people died."
Me: (Trying not to laugh) "Do you mean 'holocaust'?"
(At this point one of my co-workers standing near me had to walk away because he was busting up laughing.)
Lady: "Yeah that's it! Holocaust. It's a book about running in the holy cost."
(I loved how she reverted right back to 'Holy Cost' after I explained what the correct word was. In my mind I'm thinking there is NO WAY she wants a book about physical fitness in concentration camps, but she insisted that's what the book was.)
I looked up the words 'running' and 'holocaust' in our computer system and came up with the book Running Through Fire: How I Survived the Holocaust. I tell the customer the name of the book.
Lady: "Yes that's it. It's about the sport of running isn't it?"
Me: "No. It's about a woman that poses as a gentile woman to avoid being sent to a death camp."
Lady: "So there's nothing about running or marathons in it?"
Me: (Thumping sound of me banging my head against the desk)


Sigh......


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA HA!!!!!

Melissa said...

That's hilarious.
If I was funny I would do that on purpose to employees.

Nora Mair said...

I too roll my eyes at the positive vibe-y stuff. Your encounters are a riot! Holy cost... love the new layout of your blog and happy new pet. Lola fits her to a T.

Michelle said...

Jason and I read this outloud together and we laughed SO HARD! Thanks for cheering me up!

miss gates said...

she was in her 60's and had never heard of the holocaust????? wawawiiwa....

Laura said...

You have GOT to be kidding me!