Monday, April 12, 2010

Sinking house and other thoughts

I came home on Friday to my dining room ceiling weeping. This was a surprise. I was planning on coming home and plopping my butt on the couch to do some more simplified Sudoku (my new hobby). Instead I found this:




Apparently the pipe going from the toilet to the wall in our upstairs bathroom is all messed up. This caused the water to leak from the wall, to the floor and down into the floor's cracks, finally coming out the chandelier hole in our dining room. The insurance adjuster will be out today and I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. I just pray that at least some of the damage is covered. Wish us luck!
In addition to that bit of home improvement we are also going to be getting new carpet this year. I'm so excited! The carpet that came with the house is the WORST. It will be nice to able to vacuum the carpet and actually have something come out of the carpet. Right now all the cat hair, thread, etc. just lays stubbornly on the carpet and refuses to be vacuumed up.
Also, while we're at it, I want to repaint our bedroom. Any suggestions? This picture makes it look like the green/blue color we have on the wall is light, but it's actually quite dark...too dark. What color should we pick next?


Other than the house falling apart, things have been going great. I was able to see the Swedish movie version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it was every bit as intense as the book. I needed to decompress after seeing it! I'm reading the second book of the series right now and the final third book comes out in May. The benefit of working at a bookstore is always knowing the release dates of books. I was thinking of getting bumper stickers for all my fellow booksellers, maybe something like "Booksellers do it with their thinking caps on." but that ends in a preposition....I still struggle with that. Any other suggestions for a clever bookseller phrase? Working at a bookstore is endlessly amusing. It still amazes me how quickly people walking in the door have to rush to the bathroom. It must be the smell of the coffee. I remember Heather couldn't take either or her kids into the B&N without them having a major bowel movement minutes after walking in. (Another sentence ending in a preposition! I need help with my grammar!)

On a totally unrelated subject, I found the video for Loretta Lynn's "I Miss being Misses Tonight" on youtube. In 2004 Jack White of the White Stripes semi-resurrected Ms. Lynn's career by teaming up with her and producing her album "Van Lear Rose", similar to the way Rick Rubin revived Johnny Cash's career in the '90s and early 2000's. This video reminds me of Cash's "Hurt" video, kind of a reflection on their life of fame and the sadness of losing loved ones.
Mom, I DARE you to watch this without crying!



Here's Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video. What is it about it that's so intense! Goosebumps everytime!


(I had a dream the other night that the tattoo on my foot of Johnny Cash's signature washed off and I was so sad!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad watching that leaking chadelier...ironic that it was soaking the checkbook!-- I vote for a pale yellow ( I love red and yellow and black together)--it must be the smell of books that makes people have to "go" because for me its the bookstore and the library!

Written by Jill and/or Dan said...

This sounds so boring, but my vote is off white. It would look good with all the black accents and the red bed stuff. Cute stuff. Sorry about the leak. Bummer. And, you should have gotten Darth Vadar on camera, too. :)

LaurieJ said...

I love that color so I am witholding a vote :-)
Leaks suck. I'm Sorry!

grandma K said...

I love Loretta Lynn so much!! Thanks for sharing!