How about this one with our "strong, independent" female character pressed against the guy, while wearing something I would be embarrased to wear to bed.
...and don't even get me STARTED on these creatures:
Ugh! Where are all my strong ladies at? Comedy has been very kind to women, with people like Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, etc. showing that you can be confident and funny and not have to cave to advertiser's idea of the perfect woman, but where are these woman outside of comedy? I know one place: Harry Potter.
Thank the heavens above for J.K. Rowling. She wrote her female characters with as much strength, intelligence and wit as any of the males. Hermione Granger is one of my top female characters. Loves her family? Check. Wants to do well in school? Check. Can keep up with boys? Check. She's willing to fight evil to the end, but is still human enough to have crushes and have her moments of insecurity and doesn't act hysterical and irrational when faced with heartbreak (ahem, Bella Swan, I'm looking at you.)
Why is it that female characters written nearly 200 years ago, like Elizabeth Bennet, have more backbone and better priorities than most characters of 2011.
So why can't more characters be like Hermione or Elizabeth, and more importantly, how can I raise Hadley to know her self worth isn't based on how she looks in a tight dress or how many boys like her. How can I ensure she's happy being sweet, smart girl without the added pressures of magazine and movie covers?
I guess the answer is that I can never rely on pop culture. I have to show her that the best, strongest females are all around her. Her amazing aunts, her beautiful, smart cousins, her fabulous grandmas. These incredible women are the ones who will show her what it is to be a smart, strong woman. Them, and JK Rowling.





5 comments:
Amen! Amen! Amen!
It's true. But you will be a great role model for Hadley because you're smart and funny and kind.
I worried about Eliza until the day I finally let her read Twilight. She laughed and put it away before finishing it. I breathed a huge sigh of relief that day. :)
Amen diddo amen! Hermione is one of my favorites for the exact same reasons. Thank you for this post. I think I just might frame it:)
what a fantastic blog entry, carly!! i've lately been reading articles online that are talking about these things, and that referencing other books on the subject. two that sound interesting are: cinderella ate my daughter, and packaging girlhood. hadley's lucky to have so many strong, intelligent women in her family- and to have you, most of all!
Loved the quote from JK Rowling! So very true. Also, as Heather said, you are Hadley's greatest role model. You are an incredible mom!
What an awesome quote from JK Rowling. I've never heard it before. And of course, you must list yourself as a good strong example for Hadley. Girls really copy their mother's and YOU are a Hermione. She'll be fine with such a great mom.
Post a Comment