
It seems every time I turn on the telly I see infomercials for all kinds of miracle products: The Ped Egg, the Snuggie (which now come in designer patterns: Zebra, and Cheetah and Leopard, oh my!) the Touch N Brush, and, of course, my favorite, The Shamwow (I'm being sarcastic about the Shamwow. Check my previous post to see how I feel about that creepy guy) All of these products look great in their own way, but none has piqued my interest so much as The Spacebags. Even the name sounds eventful.
Recently my friend Melissa gave me 4 garbage bags full of baby clothes. I cannot bear the thought of not keeping these things while we go through the baby making process but we certainly don't have room for these bags of goodies. Then I saw the commerical: The Spacebag will surely save me.
The commercial claimed that ordering on the spacebag website would get me the best deal, however when I went to order I found that the $19.99 deal charged $8.95 shipping for an order that will take (get ready for this) 3 to 4 weeks to arrive at my house!. If I was so inclined I could pay an additional $9.95 to have them rush delivered. Those cheaters!
So I did the next best thing. I went to my local Bed Bath and Beyond (who apparently only stock As-Seen-On-TV items nowadays) and found the "Value Pack." This includes 2 extra large bags, 3 large, 3 medium and 2 travel bags. Sounds great!
I drove quickly home, popped in a good movie (for this occasion I went with Happy Go Lucky, which is one of the most delightful movies ever) and started folding the clothes into nice neat piles like I see on the infomercial.
Here are my findings:
Here is the first pile before being placed into the large spacebag

Here is that same pile in the Spacebag before I brought out the vacuum

And here is the finished result:

You'll notice the finished bag is roughly the same dimensions as when the air was still in it, it's just much more wrinkly now. This is most disappointing to me. I knew it wouldn't be as wonderful as the commercial proclaimed so I should just get over it. It really did compress the clothes, but the bag is now all lumpy and dense and, let's be honest, not much smaller that when I started. I will admit that it was fun seeing the vacuum suck all the remaining air out of the bags so for entertainment purposes this product has succeeded. I just hope the bags are shrunken enough to fit in our ever-crowded shed.
I think I'm going to start purchasing and reporting on various As-Seen-On-Tv items. Next up: The Snuggie. Hopefully I won't fall in love with it and get caught with it on at work like Tina Fey did in an episode of 30 Rock
3 comments:
OOOOOH OOOh! Do the magic bullet too!! I WANT one! I NEED one. I watch the infomercial for fun. I like the lady with the cigarette hanging from her mouth.
"all lumpy and dense"--har! That is hilarious. Theresa gave us spacesaver bags for food and I have to admit, I did a whole bunch of stuff just to see the air get sucked out of the bag. Great entertainment!
(I PROMISE we will come and get those cabinets this week.)
Eliza and I were in a store recently and she saw something that was an "exlusive TV offer" for sale and she was very disillusioned.
Do some more tests! I heard the disc like vacuum tht runs by its self really works!
Post a Comment