Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20, 2011

Hadley turned five months old yesterday! She is becoming such a big girl and even sleeps in her big girl crib now!
I swear she actually sleeps in there...sometimes.

The first night that we were going to put Hadley in her crib with the monitor on didn't exactly pan out. We watched a scary movie earlier that night that had a lady listening to her baby monitor and she could hear voices on it...so it spooked us enough that we decided that one more night in the cradle in our room couldn't hurt. This turned out to be a good thing since our monitor is on the same frequency as other monitors in our neighborhood and it's not uncommon to hear voices, doors shutting, etc. on it. It's pretty dang freaky but last night took the cake. We woke up around 2:30am to cries so Levi went her her room and I heard him on the monitor say, "Carly, she's dead asleep." It was so creepy! The baby's cries kept going and we realized that it was probably our neighbor's little boy, who is the same age as Hadley. Even though we solved that mystery, hearing a crying baby in the middle of the night, who is not YOUR baby is unsettling to say the least.
On a lighter note....Hadley is eating "real" food! She can handle a few bites of baby food a day and has actually started to make "Mmmmm" noises when she eats them. Hurray! The price of the food is a little high for my taste, so we're going to make our own food and then start trading food with the other new moms from my St. Lukes group. Hopefully it pans out because I don't want to pay nearly $1 per jar of organic baby food. Sheesh!
Ready for the num nums!

Hadley has also started to recognize people and had her first instance of crying at a stranger. It was so funny! We were downtown and ran into Levi's cousin Jared and his wife Anna. Jared bent down to where I was sitting holding Hadley and said, "Hey there, little cutie!" and Hadley BURST into tears. It was hilarious because there is nobody nicer than Jared, but she just fell apart. I assume it will only get more dramatic as she grows.

Here are Hadley's likes at five months:
• She loves sitting outside in the backyard. If she's ever fussy, we just take her out in the sunshine and she calms right down. She'll probably be like me and crave sunlight and dry heat. She especially looks cute in her little sunhat and sunglasses. I also love the smell of baby Coppertone sunblock on her sweet skin. So far we've been successful in preventing sunburn. Wahoo!
• Hadley loves when we sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider"and do the hand motions with her. Her eyes get big when we sing the "Down came the rain and WASHED the spider out" part. Super cute stuff.
• She is now tracking things, like when the cats walk by her. One of the cats will walk by and you see her realize what she just saw about two seconds after they walk by and she'll do her best to turn her head in that direction to see where they went. I think in about a month she'll be grabbing for their tails, which could be very interesting.
• Hadley still loves going for car and stroller rides. If she's tired or grumpy, we can just throw her in the car and she'll be asleep before we get to the next block. Sometimes she gets so tired she actually keeps herself awake fussing. I know the too-tired-to-sleep feeling and it's nice to know we have an easy fix for her.
• She loves getting up about half an hour before Levi or I are supposed to get up. It's like she knows what time our alarm is set for and she'll wake up just before it, which is crazy and and a habit I hope will change with time.
• She loves all of her aunts and uncles and grandparents. Hadley is so blessed with family who loves her and she'll never know what it's like not to be completely adored.

Hadley's dislikes at month five:
• Being put down. Period.
• Getting out of the bathtub. She'll probably stay in there until she's wrinkled when she's older. My sister's daughter Sydney is the same way.
• Being away from home when it's her bedtime. She is now used to having a bath at the same time every night, followed by pajamas and a big bottle, so being away from home during this time can really mess with her.

Other than that our little angel hardly has any complaints. Hadley is more and more fun with each passing month. I can't believe that in a couple of months she'll be crawling! I don't think I'm ready for that, and our house certainly isn't ready. We need to do some serious childproofing!
Here's a little montage of Hadders at five months old. Enjoy!

No comments: