Thursday, September 17, 2009

Seminar update

Levi and I went to the adoption seminar on Tuesday and found out quite a bit of information. First, it's expensive. We knew that going in and I'm actually surprised to see that the whole cost (around $12,000+) includes legal fees. Part of that twelve grand is paying for a home study, which is where a case worker nestles deep into your life and ensures you'd be a great parent. I think this part makes me more nervous than anything. Will they deny us because we have horrible carpet? Would the fact that our savings account is practically non-existent exclude us? Those are some questions I'd ask before we'd even begin the process, and save us the embarrassment.
There are three programs that ANB offers: Domestic infant adoption, waiting child (foster care adoption) and international adoption. I can see why celebrities are about the only people that can afford and are approved for international adoption. The cost is outrageous and the nations are SUPER picky about whether or not the child can go home with you. It's so frustrating to know that some nations would rather a child stay in a shoddy orphanage and then be released at age sixteen with no life skills, presumably to live in slums, than have a loving American couple adopt the child. Often the American couple will be denied because they only have $20,000 in savings, not $25,000. It's totally bizarre. I've always thought that adopting from an orphanage in India would be great, but check this out (taken from the wacap website:
CARA-the Indian government adoption authority-and the local Indian courts have implemented a preference to match the youngest, healthiest children with families living in India. Their next preference is given to couples of Indian origin living abroad who hold at least one current Indian passport or OCI card. Families who do not have evidence of current Indian citizenship are eligible to adopt older children or infants with possible medical concerns.
Isn't that crazy?!
So since international adoption is out, we'd be looking at domestic infant adoption, specifically from Idaho so the cost doesn't increase. On a positive note, due to the economy, there are more infants available for adoption than normal, making it a much quicker and surefire option. We have to be able to show that we can pay $10,000 the moment our home study is approved so that if a child is suddenly available, we'd be able to step up and take it. This is obviously not a possibility for us at the moment, so we'll have to put yet another dream on the back burner because of financial reasons.
It's getting frustrating that everything boils down to how much money we can come up with. I try to stay positive, but there are always reminders of what I'm going through every time I leave the house.
At least we were able to get some great information out of the seminar. It does give us a glimmer of hope that we could save for a few years and hopefully be able to afford the adoption path in the future. For now, I'll be happy with what I have: A fantastic husband, a great house, four cute pets, a car that runs, a great job, an amazing family, ten cute nieces and nephews, a great city to live in, a soft bed, running water and food in the cupboard. All this adds up to a great life and sometimes I just need help remembering that. Having written it down will remind me just how nice of a life I actually have.

4 comments:

Jennings Bloggers said...

Usually if you go threw the state (DCFS) there is no charge, but you do have to have them for 6 -8 months before you can do that. It might be worth looking into.

Laura said...

Did you know Katherine Kerekes adopted a little girl? If you ever want to talk to her about it, she's on my blog list...
Don't know if that helps!

Heather C. said...

Congrats for your positive attitude! I don't know if I would have it. Just think--when you finally do have a little 'un running around, Eliza will be old enough to babysit!

Michelle said...

It will happen, Carly. I totally see you and Levi as great parents who would know how to have FUN with your child. I think others will see it too! Our friends adopted a baby this past summer, they never thought it would happen to them, but it did!