Saturday, June 25, 2011

Grandma Allen's Funeral

My beautiful Grandma, Marilyn Murphy Allen. 1924-2011.

Grandma as a baby. All Murphy/Allen babies are adorable!

My sweet Grandma Allen passed away last week. For anyone who knew her, she was the absolute sweetest grandma a person could have. She was funny, kind, generous, and made each of her 48 grandchildren and (now) 100 great-grandchildren feel like they were special and loved.
Hadley was the 98th great-grandchild and I'm so sad Grandma and her didn't get to meet, although I got to see Grandma a few times during my pregnancy. My Grandpa is very sad without her, but I know he knows he will see her again and they will continue their journey, which is already 68 years in progress.
The trip to Utah was a blast and we had so much fun seeing family we hadn't seen in a long time. There is nothing like a big, Mormon get-together and if it had been three days long it still would not have been enough time to get caught up with everyone. All but a handful of the grandkids were able to make it to the funeral, and that is a testament to my Grandma's love.
Our family is just 1/11 of the brood my grandparents created!

The Bicentenial Babies. My sister Laurie and four other girl cousins were born in 1976. How gorgeous are they??


All the oldest boy grandchildren were pallbearers. It was a very cool sight.


During our trip, we got to do all the fun things that we normally do when we visit Utah: eat lots of yummy food (Brick Oven, of course!), Ikea, and lots of cuddles with my nieces and nephews (okay, mostly the nieces since Ryan and Wilson are getting too big to cuddle.)
It was fun to see boatloads of babies while we were there. Since having Hadley, I realize how few babies are in Boise compared to Utah. When we went to Brick Oven there were about ten booths in our section and nearly all of them were filled with young families. I had to get a picture of Hadley's car seat with all the other car seats in the background. You just wouldn't see this in Boise:
Another thing that Boise doesn't have is a great soda selection. We went down to my bro-in-law Justin's store in Springville and I had a hard time deciding which soda to get!!

Hadley had a wonderful time meeting her Utah cousins and I think she suffered from cuddling-withdrawl when we came home. I can't wait to go back down in July! (I posted more about Hadley's trip on her blog hadleyscorner.blogspot.com)

All in all, it was a great trip, I just miss my Grandma so much. Even though she was suffering at the end, I selfishly wanted to always have her around because she always made you feel like the most important person in the world. We love you Grandma, and we know this is not farewell forever, but a temporary parting.

2 comments:

Heather C. said...

I love the Brick Oven picture! It looks like you're eating in a maternity ward.
And you're right---we are lucky to be comforted by the knowledge that death is a temporary parting. Phew. Good thing for that, because I really, really like our Grandma!

I love the picture of you at Brookside!

LaurieJ said...

The picture still cut out a couple of car seats too!
We miss you guys so much and I'm sure Hadders misses being tossed back and forth between little girls (and her aunt) :-)