Saturday, March 10, 2012

C'mon Spring...

Springtime has been showing itself a little bit lately. I can only hold my breath that we don't get one final winter push and will instead look forward to tulips and blossoms.
This last week was more eventful than most weeks, and I even snapped a few pictures! First, Levi, Hadley, and I had a fun time going out with his dad and Julie. We had to eat at the new Westside Drive In, which opened about half a mile from our house (yes!!) For you non-Boiseans, Westside is a gourmet greasy spoon--yes, you heard me right. Not only is their food unbelievable, but they have pebble ice! It is a good day when I can find that soft ice to crunch on. When we got there, we found they were having a miniature car show and Hadley had fun looking at the shiny Chevys with her Chevy-loving grandpa.

On Tuesday, I had a minor surgery and got to enjoy some deep sleep that entire day. As much as surgery makes me nervous, and as big of an inconvenience it is, I love the deep sleep that comes from anesthesia. Is there anything better?? Anyway, the surgery was a female-related surgery that will hopefully make my life easier every month, and will also help us if we ever want to have more kids in the future. Hadley was a sport and came with me to the pre-surgery appointments on Monday. She was so funny and never complained once. She was very interested when they were drawing blood from my arm, and I'm wondering if I might have a little nurse on my hands. That would be so awesome!
I love how the doc's office has a toy stethoscope. Hadley would make a darling nurse.

After taking a day to get feeling better, I decided that now would be a great time to start my walks again. I have packed on (even more!) weight this winter and am dedicated to shedding at least some of it before swimming pool season begins. We have a great trail by our house and I love seeing all the beauty it has to offer.
I recorded the sounds of birds on my phone (I love that phone) and in an 11 second clip I can make out four different birds. I think my Grandma Allen could have helped me identify some of them, she and my Grandpa had a couple of books on bird calls that would actually play the chirping. I miss her so much sometimes, especially when I'm in the outdoors. I tried getting the sound clip to upload, but, alas, I have found something my phone can't do. Oh well. At least I got a video of the creepy herons' nests. You can only see these for a few weeks each year and they are terrifying! Herons look and sound like prehistoric flying dinosaurs and seeing a bunch of them sitting in their nests makes me nervous. Of course every time I stopped recording one of them would take flight or call out or do anything else more interesting than sitting in their nests. Forgive the video, I was just hoping to show the sheer size of these birds and their nests...a NatGeo cameraman I am not.

Also, I found the secret to a fantastic walk: The Commitments Pandora station. Yes, even fictional bands have Pandora stations and there is nothing better than feeling motivated and listening to Otis Redding sing "Try a Little Tenderness", although I was worried I'd break out in dance like Ducky. Also an absolute must for a good workout: Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher." Seriously, try not to feel better about exercising while listening to that awesomeness.


I am looking forward to next week, when we'll have lots of family all around for Miss Haddercakes' first birthday! Now I need to head to bed...

Oh, and one more thing. Here's one more darling picture of our girl:
She has to protect the remotes to ensure nobody turns off "Tangled."

No comments: