Friday, January 27, 2012

A Nice Reminder.

At the top of my internet browser, I have a bunch of bookmark links for websites I visit often. The links are diverse, running anything from Pintrest to Rottentomatoes.com to news sites like MSNBC.
One of the most important links I like to click is THIS ONE. There are always strong emotions when I look at a picture of my amazing Grandma. More often than not, looking at her picture and her reading just a sample of her life's accomplishments in her obituary make me want to be a better person. I feel like anything I complained about that day is nothing compared to the task of raising eleven amazing children like she did. Not only did she raise those eleven kids in a home filled with love, but she was an amazing wife too. She inspires me to be a better wife to Levi. My Grandpa had so much love and respect for her and I want to be the kind of woman that Levi can be proud of, the way my grandpa was proud of her.
I talked with my Grandpa on the phone the other night, and he's holding up alright, but you can tell how much he still misses his Marilyn. What an amazing team they made. Look how cute he still is:
Thank you Bonnie, for helping to take such good care of him!

My Grandma was always knitting. She knitted a blanket for nearly ever grand and great-grand child (and boy-oh-boy are there a lot of us!) The last blanket she was working on when she passed away was for our little Hadley. We were given the red blanket, with the needles still in it as well as the bag that she'd keep the blanket and yarn in. We keep that bag and the blanket in Hadley's room as a reminder of what an amazing woman she was. Hadley will grow up knowing how much her Great Grandmother loved her and that half-finished blanket is one of my most prized possessions. I miss and love you so much, Grandma Allen!

4 comments:

bonnie j said...

What a sweet tribute to Grandma Carly! I remember that she started Hadley's afghan and didn't like the first red yarn, so she got a new kind and started over again. She was so determined to finish that! I love that you have kept it on the needles. It was one of the very last things she did...Thank you for calling Grandpa, he was so happy that he could talk to you!

Megan Marie said...

Impeccable timing- I just finished watching the Notebook and everytime it reminds me of Grandma and Grandpa and here the tears come!

Heather C. said...

What a nice post. I miss her so much!

Michelle said...

I'm crying. I miss her so much. What a great example she was.