Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Update

I don't have a lot of your email addresses, so here's a copy of the email that I sent to those of you whose addresses I have.

Hey all,
Levi and I just wanted to give you an update on everything we've learned this week.
We had an appointment last Wednesday to look at the follicles and see how they were progressing. Unfortunately they weren't as large as they should have been (follicles need to be around 18-20mm to help with ovulation) so they told me to take another shot of Bravelle and come back on Saturday. We went back on Saturday and were told that the follicles again hadn't grown. We were given another injection to take of Bravelle and told to come back on Tuesday (today.) Once again, the follicles hadn't grown to the point of where they needed to be, in fact they hadn't grown at all. Pretty devastating news.
They suggested we do another double dose of Bravelle (the normal dose is 3 shots total in a month, this would put us up to 7 shots so far this month) but even the double dose wouldn't guarantee growth. Basically, the injections are outrageously expensive (about $50/shot, along with each $90 ultrasound) and we didn't feel right about pushing my body any further for something that most likely wouldn't work. It also wouldn't be financially responsible to have any more procedures that couldn't at least slightly guarantee results.
We've learned a lot this past month: I don't ovulate on both sides, my uterine lining is weak (but luckily this is fixable with a dose of supplements), my follicles are miniscule and I need medication to push ovulation, even when it's a month that I'm supposed to ovulate on my own.
All of these things have led us to some sad conclusions. It doesn't look like I'll ever conceive naturally, and we certainly don't have the thousands of dollars it takes to pursue fertility treatments. So for this month we'll finish our treatment and see what happens, hoping for the best but planning for the worst.
Enough of the bad news, here's the good news:
The nurse we saw today at the Idaho Reproductive Medicine Center told us that they are going to be up for an FDA testing for in-vitro this fall. Basically, if we're picked we could get free in-vitro while they test new drugs for the procedure. This would be amazing! In-Vitro costs around $15,000 so to have it for free would be an absolute miracle. The nurse put our names on a list and we'll wait to see what happens.
She also let us know about another in-vitro option. You can have another person's fertilized egg (embryo) implanted in you for about $2500. Since the major cost of in-vitro is pulling out your own eggs and the fertilization process, this cuts out all that and takes embryos that have been frozen and gives them the chance to grow in me. A lot of people (rich people usually lol!) who are having fertility issues will save their eggs that have been fertilized in case they decide to do in-vitro again in the future. Sometimes they don't know what to do with the embryos and they will allow doctor's offices to use them for patients whose eggs aren't viable or who can't afford the regular in-vitro option. This would definitely be something we'd look into, considering it's still thousands cheaper than adoption.
So, if we don't get into the in-vitro FDA trial we'll start looking at having an embryo implanted. In the meantime we're going to start saving for adoption. It could take years and years to save enough up for this, but we're willing to do anything and I think adoption is such a beautiful thing.
Anywho, that's what we've learned, in a nutshell. We'll keep you updated if anything else happens. We really want to thank all of you for your help. Knowing that we're surrounded by people who love us and are cheering for us has made these two years bearable. Thank you so much!!
Love,
Carly and Levi


Again, I really want to reiterate how thankful we are to all of you. We've seen some amazing generosity and we're so blessed to have such a caring family. Stephanie, I especially want to thank you for what you've offered. I can't think of anything more incredible to do to help someone and I hope you know how much I appreciate it.
Thank you to everyone who has sent a kind word or a positive thought our way. We are so lucky!

No comments: