Monday, May 2, 2011

I saved!


I'll admit it: I have partaken of the coupon (pronounced COO-pon in this household) Kool Aid. While I may never be as good (is good the right word to describe those freaks?) as the people on Extreme Couponing, I've decided that I am fully capable of devoting a little bit of time to saving some money. And I did!
Using the internet, the Sunday coupon inserts, and shopping savvy, I was able to take home a decent haul today and save a little bit of money. For anyone interested, here's how my shopping trip went:
Trip to Walgreens:
Bought 2 Noxzema razor packs-Regularly $4.99 each, on sale for $3.99. I had 2 $2.00 off coupons, plus Walgreens had a deal where I got $3 per razor pack to use on a future purchase. So after my $2 off coupon, I paid $3.98 for two packages of razors (nice ones too!) and got $6 to spend on my next Walgreens purchase.
I then took the $6 in credit and bought Garnier hair mousse (normally $3.99, on sale for $2.99 and I had a $1 off coupon which made the mousse only $1.99) and two six packs of full size candy bars (normally $4.99 each, on sale for 2 for $6.00, plus I had a $1 off coupon making twelve candy bars only $5.00.) So using my $6 in credit from the razors, I only owed $.99 before tax for all the items.
The regular retail price of everything I bought at Walgreens would have been $23.95 and I only paid $4.97 (total savings of 80%!) Not bad, if I do say so myself!

Next up was Albertsons. Albertsons is doing a deal where you can buy five boxes of select General Mills cereal and they'll only be $1.88 each. They also had 3 double coupons in Sunday's paper that match any manufacturer's coupon, up to $1.00. I used those doublers on two boxes of cereal and a box of baby wipes (I had a $1.00 manufacturer's coupon for those) plus I also had a $1.00 coupon for cat treats that were on sale for $1.39. So, all together at Albertson I got 5 boxes of cereal, 1 bag of cat treats and 1 box of baby wipes. Retail cost was $27.83 and I paid $7.79 (72% savings!)

Third up was Target. I bought two boxes of Huggies diapers (normally $19.97 each) and used two $3 diaper coupons, making each box $16.97 and was also given a $5 Target giftcard to use on a future purchase. I used the $5 on Hadley's formula, making it only $8.99 instead of $13.99. Total savings at Target: $11. Woo hoo!

I'm pretty stoked about my shopping trips. I feel like the more I do this, the more comfortable I'll become with it. With Hadley, everything is starting to cost more and any way I can save money is A-Ok with me! Let me know if any of you out there have any coupon tips...I can use any and all help out there!

PS Rite Aid is selling Cover Girl makeup for 40% off this week, a much better deal than the Buy 1 Get 1 50% off that most other retailers are doing :)

2 comments:

Written by Jill and/or Dan said...

Way to go!

Check out:

fabulesslyfrugal.com

$4 jumbo packs of diapies @ rite aid soon with coo-pons and promo... starting next week.

Anonymous said...

You really can save a lot if you do your homework...good job Carly! I love that prayer in Tina Fey's book! SO funny!